[Dailydrool] Boredom

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 05:58:09 PDT 2013

Helena,
I have never had a basset interested in a kong unless it had treats in it.
 I do keep kongs in the freezer stuffed with pumpkin and applesauce mixed
together.  My three LOVE that!  It takes them longer to eat it when it is
frozen.

It is sometimes hard to guess what kind of toy a specific dog will like.
 Beauford only likes stuffies to drive his siblings nuts.  They need to
flap when he runs and have squeakers.  I got a bat after Halloween a few
years back for 50 cents and he loves it!  The wings flap when he runs and
he can squeak it to entice the other  two to chase him.  Browyn and
Beauford love nylabones.  They must be nobby and not chicken flavored.
 They prefer bacon flavored.  They will chew for hours on these.  They have
to be the durable ones.  Bugsey wants nothing to do with these.

Bugsey ADORES skinneez animals.  He and Browyn both love them.  Bugsey
wears them as scarves and he runs around squeaking them.  Browyn likes them
because she can fold them up in her mouth and decide how much is going to
flop.

Beauford and Browyn also like tennis balls and orbee vegetables (strawberry
and artichoke).  The tennis balls have to be kong balls and squeak.  The
orbees don't squeak, but you don't know which direction they will go.
 These are easy to teach your hound to play with, but not all hounds get
the joy of chasing a ball.  Bugsey sure doesn't.

Bugsey has a huge assortment of stuffies.  He just needs to have them in
his crate and where ever he is sleeping.  IF your dog starts to destroy
them, put them up and only provide them for supervised play.  Eventually
they will get that they can't destroy them.  This worked with Blitzen ATB
and Beauford, but I didn't trust stuffies in their crates.  Bugsey has to
have 9 stuffies in his crate, a pillow and a blanket or he doesn't sleep
well.

It sounds like you just need to teach Cindy how to play and then praise her
anytime she is playing on her own (or chewing a nylabone on a dog bed).
 Good luck!  Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions!

Jennifer, momperson to Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess