[Dailydrool] Dashing bassets

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Tue Aug 13 18:07:54 PDT 2013

I think I need some advice about dashing bassets.

This morning I had all three dogs outside in our front yard. Horton was all kinds of relaxed, and I was looking at our potted tomatoes. All the dogs were just fine. Suddenly Horton spied a dog across the street and went dashing towards it. I was at the other end of the leash and got pulled along. Unhappily, Dexter, who is blind, was in my path, and I toppled right down to the ground, bringing him with me.

The woman walking the dog was very concerned. She took her dog back down the street, where it lives (I think she was walking it while her daughter is in the hospital, having just had a baby). Another neighbor also hurried up the street to be sure we were OK.

Horton, being so fearful, was terrified. I think he thought I would beat him or something. More fears from his past. But of course I recognize that he was just doing what dogs do. I finally managed to get him in the house, though he was terrified at these two strangers.

Dexter seems to be OK after taking it easy all morning and perking up this afternoon. He was probably feeling rather bruised. As for me, Horton managed to drag me through some poop, which fortunately didn't get in any of my wounds. My shirt looked awful, and I have a scraped knee and elbow, along with a few aches and pains, but nothing serious seems to have happened. I went in the house and took a shower, and the worst was past.

The problem is that I do not want to do this again. Horton is a very reactive dog, having clearly been abused in his past. He probably wanted to bark at the dog to keep her away, since he's a huge wuss. He's by no means aggressive. Does anyone have any ideas about how I can keep him from dashing off at less than a moment's notice?
Pam food slave and a lot else to the Dashing Bassets