[Dailydrool] beds and Horton

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 13 18:26:47 PDT 2013

First- Pam you are a GENIUS!! I have those new foam bath mats too. Just the smaller size. Sometimes one of the hounds is laying on the one that stays on the bathroom floor in front of the shower.

As you all know, Elvis scooches as he can’t use his back legs. So his beds tend to travel with him a ways as they don’t ‘stick’ to the floor. Very common to find a bed in the middle of the doorway around here. He has some area rugs too- but they tend to roll up as he gets on them.

I never thought of those bathmats until I saw your note Pam- I know they make bigger sizes than the one I got and they do sort of stick to the floor- are really soft and are thin so that he can get on them easily. And most important they are washable! I will get some of those. The only thing you don’t want to do with these is put them in the dryer- it will ruin the rubber backing.

As for Horton, I would take him back out front. Nothing like doing something over and over to send the message that it’s ok. Peanut was really skittish about many things- I made her do some of them ( for example when she had to pass by something that scared her, such as too close to a partially open door). I never forced her- but I did encourage and sometimes there were cookies or a gentle shove to the butt. It took some time- but she is not as skittish as she used to be.

I think just repetition will help him realize that it is ok and he can get through it. I would suggest that you pay close attention to prevent another mishap. I hope you aren’t too sore tonight and your scrapes heal up quick. Maybe even plan for the neighbor to walk by while you are out. If Horton likes treats feed him some as they walk past- and he will associate good with that. If he is not aggressive- maybe let neighbor and dog stop for a meet and greet? Pay attention to yourself as you do these things- if you anticipate “trouble” he will sense this. Try to make yourself feel AOK about whatever is going on and go about as normal as you can.

droolies, Angelika

Sent from Windows Mail