[Dailydrool] Upside down. Suggestions?

Valerie vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 15 14:17:32 PDT 2013

admiral Bo, the demented commander of the Pacific Basset Feet, is driving me nuts. His internal time clock has turned upside down, which I gather from reading the Web is not unusual in dementia. so Bo is sleeping like a rock all day (except for mealtimes of course) and up at night. Being a food oriented sort of fellow, he has decided to establish regular mealtimes through the wee hours as well. the problem, of course, is that he commands his human servant to keep the same hours he does. Now he patrols the house from about midnight to six AM, grumbling and low woofing, escalating to baying at about 2 AM And then again 5AM, demanding early breakfast and dawn breakfast. After  meals there is the demand to be disrobed so that he can go out into the yard and attend to potty business, then returning inside to be dressed in his uniform again to prevent inside accidents. at 6 AM, he returns blissfully to bed until lunchtime. after lunch he sleeps until midafternoon walkies, and then again until dinner andafter dinner walkies, when it is time for a nap until midnight. Bo does not seem disturbed in the slightest by the above, but I, his obedient servant, feel differently about the matter.

My husband, who sleeps in his own temperature controlled room with door shut, outfitted with a C-Pap machine for his severe sleep apnea, does not hear the constant grousing--just the baying--which can probably be heard for miles given its volume. Bill reminds me that middle of the night baying cannot be tolerated in the neighborhood, so I jump out of bed to attend to Bo at the first rise in volume. bill also tells me I am training Bo to be up all night and to bay by talking to him and feeding him, and that the solution is to "ignore" Bo all night, even if it means staying up all night in bed listening--except that I can't allow him to bay. well, you can imagine what Bo does when ignored--he bays.

Bo has always been crate-phobic so that is not a solution. ditto to confining him in a small room with no windows (the only one in our house is a small bathroom). So, I am stumped. any suggestions? Val, sleepless in Kona; Harley, make him be quiet so I can sleep; Bill, zzzz--do something about that dog; Bo, life is great--slave! A little snack now or I'll torpedo the neighborhood! ahroooo!