[Dailydrool] Sleepless Basset

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 18:54:12 PST 2013

Jennifer here.  Browyn is 2 years old now.  I got her when she was 16 weeks
old and yes, she is a rescue and parvo surviver.  When we first got her we
had a lot of trouble with her sleeping through the night because her blood
sugars were all out of whack from the parvo.  Now they are fine.  She is my
7th puppy and I managed to raise all the other 6 to tolerate a crate just
fine.

She was at the vet on Friday.  The vet says she is fine, but she is a
princess and has very strong feelings about the way things should go in her
life.  (He should know, she and the boys stay with him when we go out of
town).

After all this info about being scared of the dark, I realized that she can
see the lights leading up to the front door out her window.  Yes, they are
dying out even earlier now because it isn't staying light as long.  Also,
she has to be crated with Bugsey when we go out of town or she just sobs.

So here is the plan: I am going to put a night light in the dog room.  I am
also going to get out Elwood's ATB crate.  It is 3'x4' and I am going to
put Bugsey and Browyn in there together.  Beauford will stay in his crate
across from them so everyone can see each other.  Bugsey doesn't seem to
mind Browyn climbing all over him.  He takes it in stride.  I have to put
tons of stuffed animals in his crate as it is so he feels like he is
sleeping with littermates.  Beauford does not like to sleep with anyone
touching him.  He is only 5, but very arthritic.  I think he worries about
being bumped wrong.

We are on vacation at the moment, so I won't know how this works until we
get home.  Thanks everyone for all the advise.  Please send drool that it
works.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn the Fairy Princess

P.S. I tried both methods--attending to her when she cried, comforting her
with words but not getting her out and ignoring her.  None of it worked,
but she was less hysterical when I cuddled her.  That is another reason I
think sleeping with Bugseey might work!