[Dailydrool] Working from home and basset mysteries

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at optimum.net
Fri Dec 13 15:09:54 PST 2013

Holly is pretty uninterested in what work I do at the computer. Dexter
usually settles down on the couch and only wants to go out a few times
in the day (usually with the other hounds). But Horton seems to be of
the opinion that bassets should constantly be played with or taken out.

I sit down, start to work, and just as I'm getting into it, Horton puts
his front paws in my lap and knocks my elbow with his nose--I can no
longer type. I decide he probably needs to go out, head for the door,
and grab a leash. Sometimes he sits in the middle of the living room and
looks at me. Does he really want to go out or not? I generally put on
the leash and take him, just to be certain. Sometimes we stand about in
the front yard while he watches the trucks at the deli down the street,
checks out the neighborhood for all dangers (everything's a danger to
Horton), and generally gets into a bit of trouble. Occasionally he
actually does his business.

We come in. I sit at my desk again. Within a few minutes, Horton has his
paws on my lap and his nose is pushing at my arm. In defense, I have
taken a dog bed and settled it nearby. Right now he's sacked out on it.
Maybe all he wants is comfort.

As for the Sue Owens Wright novels, I have enjoyed them all. Drew gave
me the last one for my birthday, and I shot right through it. I have
never read any of the other basset mysteries out there. Maybe they
should go on my Christmas list. Any recommendations?
Pam