[Dailydrool] Heartworm

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 16 17:44:37 PST 2013

So, they call me the clueless momPerson, and with good reason.  I've always had dogs and never had a heartworm positive one yet.  I never gave the preventative up until a few of years ago.  I'd have them tested every other year but never gave them the stuff.  Thing is, there was no heartworm here in northern California, no one had ever seen a heartworm positive dog here .... until hurricane Katrina.

After hurrican Katrina there were a lot of stray dogs and many of them were brought to northern California and rehomed.  And some of them were heartworm positive.  And we do have mosquitos.  And it only takes one heartworm positive dog.  And all of a sudden rescue started taking in heartworm positive dogs.  And I've spoken to some of the folks who fostered those heartworm positive dogs and I'll spare you the second hand description but FOR SURE I don't want my dog to go through that and FOR SURE the prevenative is worth it to me

Best,
Dale    aka the clueless momPerson to Snoopy, LuLu and Gracie who are all on Heart Guard