[Dailydrool] Scary Rawhides

AWoodrum awoodrum at clear.net
Sun Dec 29 09:28:20 PST 2013

I do the same thing, no chews with knots and I keep an eye on everyone in
case of choking.  Bloating never crossed my mind, especially not Baxter
because he takes his piece and grinds and chews it into tiny little shreds
before he swallows them.  We got two different bags, one of compressed
pieces for Holly (bad teeth) and Bunny, the other the rawhide flips, big
pieces about 3 inches wide by about 5 inches long.  One bag came from Mexico
and the other came from Chile.  I don't think there's anything wrong with
the rawhides, just Baxter's tummy.  When he blows up he looks like a cow
from the back, and from the side the area that gets distended is above his
penis, in front of his back legs.

Baxter and Bunny are a bonded pair that the Rescue's vet thinks are around 8
years old, but no one knows anything else about them.  They came here
September 7th and this is about the fourth time Baxter has had serious
stomach problems.  It's very obvious that these dogs were loved and taken
care of prior to whatever happened to get them dumped at a shelter.  Does
anyone know if there's some way for my vet to tell if Baxter's stomach has
been tacked?  It wouldn't surprise me to learn that it had been.  Wish we
had some kind of vet records for them.

Anita Woodrum
awoodrum at clear.net