[Dailydrool] puppies isolation

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Tue Feb 5 08:51:04 PST 2013

I haven't bred a litter in over 3 years but I guess I still qualify as a
breeder.  First of all, the puppies are kept in the whelping room
from birth until about 6-8 weeks.  One of us stays with them 24/7 for
the first 2 -3 weeks.No one wears shoes that have been around dogs in the
whelping room.  Almost nobody gets to see the babies until they have
had their first shots.  Then visitors who do not own dogs are allowed
with their shoes off.  Visiting protocols open up after the 2nd
shot.If one of us has been to a dog class, show or other doggy place,
shoes are removed before entering house.  If another of the dogs goes
somewhare, they are walked though a basin of bleach water, their tummies
and ears wet down.  If mommie dog has to go to the vet, she is
dressed in a nursing bra (kind of like a butchers apron worn on the tummy
side with apron strings - usually 4 sets of them - tied around her
back.  Keeps the milk bar from getting dirty or dragging in
germs.  Remember to keep the back boobs tucked into the bra.
When there is a particularly nasty bug going around, I will peel down in
the driveway upon return home and take a shower and wash hair before
visiting the babies.)Since I can't require friends to strip down, I will
supply a hospital gown to put on over their clothes.  I have not yet
figured out how to make any cats in the family walk through the basin of
bleach water.  So we just ignore the possibility of bug from
cats.  Most (but not all) moms keep the kitties out of the whelpng
box any way.

does this answer your question?

crazy
basset lady
MAKE DROOL NOT WAR

AKC Breeders of Merit
Please take time to visit these websites:
Rebec Bassets at
www.rebecbassets.com
Basset Buddies Rescue, Inc. at
www.bbrescue.org