[Dailydrool] Amelia's Legs, Vet Scripts

Kate Lawson clawson at cfl.rr.com
Mon Feb 18 14:50:16 PST 2013

I had experience with my Ophelia's rear legs going out. First she would stumble occasionally while on our daily walks. I attributed this to old age - she was 12. Then she went down significantly but not totally. There was knuckling under. The vet tried steroids but they had no effect; then she did X-rays. They showed narrowing and arthritis of the spine. We tried Tramadol which had no effect and then Rimadyl which did help. She was on Rimadyl for about 6 weeks and came back well.

With respect to getting scripts from the Vet: I know the instinct is to save money wherever possible but I have found that a case by case evaluation gives me more comfort. My Vet has given me the best service I could imagine for 14 years with multiple doctors, lots of staff, on-the-spot appointments, and all employees with infinite patience and good will toward all clients. The staff stayed late on the Sat before New Years to administer the first chemotherapy to my Lucy because I was convinced she would die over the 5 day holiday without it. Now she is doing great.
I know they inflate prices to be able to support the overhead to provide this great service. Those costs and their lack of quantity cost savings don't allow them to compete with the pharmacies. I know none of them are getting rich off their meds. So I am happy to pay their prices as long as they pass my sanity test. For example, they charge $14 for a bag of Pill Pockets so I get them for $3.50 from Fosters and Smith. But I get all my prescription meds and food directly from them. I have thought about it and there are a lot of things I would give up before I would change Vets.

Kate Lawson, Hamlet, Lucy, Daisy