[Dailydrool] Addition to the Dashing Bassets

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Fri Feb 22 22:07:34 PST 2013

[Grumble, grumble, grumble.] You all may know that just before Christmas mom came home with this year-old puppy. The first couple of weeks weren't too bad, 'cause he was in a crate and couldn't steal too many pets from Holly and me. But then mom started letting him out into our space.

This little guy (he's even smaller than me, and I'm only 44 pounds!), whose name is Horton, started deciding he wanted to share my couch. Now I'm a nice guy--ask my mom. But sometimes he got kinda close, so I had to growl at him. You know, sharing your bed is a really personal thing. I couldn't wait until the day he got adopted--or so I thought. Get him outta here and I'll get my mama back to myself, I said. After all, he was just a foster.

So this Horton guy stayed and stayed and stayed. At first mama told us he had a broken leg that had to heal up. She took him out to Quakertown, PA, to get some vet work--more time away from me and Holly. But we put up with it, 'cause, hey, he was only a foster. Someday we'd have mama back to ourselves.

Yesterday mama gave us the bad news: Horton was adopted. But he wasn't going anywhere. Seems that after the failure of two good adoptions, one of which would have reunited him with his brother, the clueless humans decided he could not leave here. (Really, mama decided to adopt him before the second home fell through, but she's hardly admitting to that.)

I am furious. My couch is no longer my own. I have to share pets three ways. Mama no longer always has a hand just for me. And that little Hortie guy is always crowding me whenever the mama lays a hand on me. On top of that, he gets all the special treats, 'cause mama says he's so nervous, he needs to get used to people and loud noises and even our papa. I love my papa! Will I have to share him too?

Mama says she still loves me. She tells me that I am her Big Boy now, instead of being her Little Man. But I'm not sure I'm going for it, even if Horton is smaller than me. I think I've been had! Would someone like to take this little guy off my hands? I'd be happy to ship him to you in a box--I might even cut holes in it.

Oh, yeah, mom says I should thank Carolina Basset Hound Rescue for pulling him out of a shelter and sending him up to Tri-State--his name was Freckles then. I really don't mind that they pulled him out. I just wish he hadn't ended up on MY couch.
C. Dexter Haven, new Big Man of the Dashing Bassets