[Dailydrool] Prescription meds

Ann Hefner anniebh at acsol.net
Tue Feb 19 19:03:28 PST 2013

My vet recently did an extensive study on getting prescription meds through
a pharmacy.  He is mailing me the information so I don't have it yet, but he
said you have to make sure you are getting exactly the same medicine, not
even a generic.  Dogs will absorb meds at a different rate than people, and
even a name brand can either be toxic or non-effective.  He did this extra
research because I wanted to get metacam at the pharmacy.  He said if I did,
and they gave me meloxicam that maybe was a pill mixed in a solution instead
of the real metacam it would kill a dog.  I tried a generic eye drop when
Daisy had glaucoma, and she lost sight in her eye about a week later.  He
said some things don't matter, like antibiotics, but I decided I will spend
the extra money and get meds from the clinic to make sure they are safe.
Ann