[Dailydrool] Cats and Dogs

Bambi McLeskey bassetslave at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 10:21:43 PST 2013

I need help. I know this has probably been covered a million times, but its
really hit a bad spot. Its so cold outside, and while I am only gone for
work, its still cold out there. I have a lab/chow with aggression issues
that is a whole different story, but my basset....well, I now live in a
house with C at ts! Drake has never been around cats, and I have no idea how
to make them happy together. Right now, he has to stay outside when I am
not there, and the cats have to be locked up for him to come inside in the
evenings until he goes to his crate for bed. I HATE this for him. The cats
hate being locked up and tear frantically at the door with claws, Drake
hates being outside and makes it known to all the neighbors, who are none
too sympathetic to his plight. He is an incessant barker anyway. Inside,
outside, if he is awake, he is barking, so living in a city is very hard on
him. Can someone give me any tips on how to safely introduce him to
kitties? The only time I know he has been around a c at t, he chased it
mercilessly, and the owner was afraid he would kill it. He had run away and
someone was keeping him while I was looking for him when this happened, so
I have never seen the behavior, but the cats owner is in ultimate fear of
him attacking, or playing too rough, or traumatizing the kitties with his
barking or play. Anyone have any tips to improve the situation? introducing
nice kitty play, and maybe the incessant barking as well? Feel free to
email me off list. I want this to be the best year ever for my babies.
PS I know its a basset list, but if you have experience with other
aggressive dogs, Ill gladly take advice on the lab/chow. He mostly loves
people, but thinks he weighs 4 pounds (hes 140lbs) and is VERY dog and cat
aggressive. Ive had him for 6 years, and have never been able to break him
of this, so he has to be kept separately, which means far more time outside
than I would like.
I know I sound like a terrible parent, I swear they are well loved, and
taken care of, they just arent happy right now, and neither am I. And with
the temperature being so strangely sickly cold in West TN (coldest Ive ever
seen) I have to do something soon. Thank you in advance!

--
Bambi