[Dailydrool] Cats and dogs

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 16:25:34 PST 2013

Aloha Bambi,
  When our dear ATB cat, Lynx, lived with us, and we added Harley the basset, we had a problem. Lynx totally intimidated Bo so there were no problems there. But Harley is not easily intimidated and insisted on chasing Lynx, no matter what the consequences (cat mauls hound). So we made a dedicated "cats only, no dogs allowed" room. First we put a board about two feet high across the door. This was easily sailed over by the cat. But Harley could climb it. So then we built a "moat" on the room side of the door (a big basket about two feet high, maybe a foot across in diameter. The cat could sail over the board, do a two point landing inside the basket and sail over its far side, but the basset was too long and too clumsy--he'd get stuck one end over the board and one inside the basket every time and start bellowing for help. He only tried it a couple of times. After that the cat had his own room to retreat to (with a shelf up at the window, a litter box, a
 warm chair). This solved the cat and dog skirmishes. Though I don't know how this would work with a chow and a cat--you might need a tall gate across the cat room with a small round hole towards the bottom that a cat but not a chow would fit through. We have a hole like that in our back fence and cats and chickens come in and out of the yard at will but the bassets don't fit through. Val