[Dailydrool] Marlene would understand

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 2 10:58:04 PST 2013

Hi all, it's the ever clueless momPerson,

I have to chime in on who will take care of the dogs when we can't anymore.  My
mother nailed that one right on the head.

My mother (may her memory be for blessing) lived in a beautiful home on a lake
in New Jersey which she owned outright.   She had 3 glorious yellow labs, one of
which she had imported all the way from Sweden.  She had gotten older and less
able to work with them and these dogs were pretty darn wild, all 3 unaltered
males around 110 lbs each.  I am her only child.  I knew what her will said and
she had begged me not to contest it, my mother knew me, I would NEVER EVER have
gone against her wishes.

She left me her mothers jewlerey and the woodcarvings from her african adventure
and love and memories.  But she left her car to a woman who worked in lab rescue
who envied and it would never have one like that otherwise.  And the house she
left to a man who had never owned a home in his life.  This man, with a high
school educations, worked maintaining landscape on commercial properties.  Over
the years he had helped her out with her property and her dogs.  She had spoken
with him and he promised to take in her dogs when she died.  And she promised
him the house on the lake if he did it.  And he did it the day she died and she
left the house to him in her will with that condition.  And her brother (my
uncle)  went CRAZY over it and asked me to contest the will (it had been his
parents house first) but there was no way, I was so proud of my mom.  And the
man .... Terry.  He is a good honest man.  Two of those dogs were nearly 12 with
health problems that would take up pages.  The third, the one imported from
Sweden, all of his littermates where champions and he was only 4.  I did talk
Terry into rehoming that dog into a home with one of his litermates in Virginia,
Terry still drives down to Virginia twice a year to check on him and ensure all
is well there.

So if you want to make sure the dogs are taken care of one way it to tie a VERY
large asset to that wish.  And set up checks and balances such that others check
on the well being of the dogs and if they are not in delightful conditions that
asset is reassigned.

Works.

More later from the clueless momPerson who's mother was FAR from clueless and
she loved dogs as much as any one of us.