[Dailydrool] The Guinness "Escape"

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 17:21:13 PST 2013

We have a dog door to the front door with a gate at the bottom of the
stairs.  The 3 hounds like to sit on the porch and wait for photo ops.  We
have a dog door in the laundry room that takes them out to the back porch.
There, they can go out the screen dog door, down the ramp to their fenced
yard.  Our builder could not believe all the extra dog things we put into
to this house.  The fence has 2 gates, one on each side of the house.  I've
read lots of stories on the drool of escaping bassets so we're always
checking the gates!
The other day we had the HVAC system serviced.  They know we have dogs and
the service guy is good about shutting gates.  My daughter, Meg. and I were
in the kitchen.  She looked out the window and screamed "Guinness is out!"
 He was way over at our neighbors - in full run.  I threw a leash at my
daughter and she ran like the wind to catch him.  (definitely faster than
me).  Anyway, he saw here coming and kept going.  Then, when he realized it
was his favorite person in the world, he stopped, dropped and gave fully
belly rub position.
My heart about stopped.  The service guy didn't know the dogs could get out
to the back yard and didn't lock the fence.  Meg brought the wayward hound
home and there on the front lawn was Gallagher, just waiting for someone to
notice that he was out.  I don't think MacKenzie even woke up from her nap
to leave.
I'm just thankful that he didn't go in the other direction.  We would not
have seen him and there has been a coyote in the area.  The alligator is in
the mud for the season.
As I write this, the little devil just came downstairs from upstairs.  We
had the gate down so that the Xmas decorations could go back upstairs.  He
was investigating Meg's room.  She has a stuffed life size basset.
 Guinness never met the "upstairs" basset and was quite frightened by it.
 Finally, something scares him!