[Dailydrool] This & That

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 08:16:09 PST 2013

We were fortunate to have a blind foster hound come and visit us for a day
before she went to her new home and what a wonderful experience it was! She
had never been to our home before and I was just amazed at how well she got
around! The only concession that we made for her blindness was to block off
the stairs but that was it. She motored around wonderfully, seldom actually
running into anything. Does your hound have whiskers? I know that sounds
like a dumb question but Daisy used her nose like every other hound and
would touch things with her nose but she really never rammed into anything.
I've always wondered if maybe she felt stuff with her whiskers a little
before she hit stuff and that's what slowed her down. Having seen how well
she did in the little time she was with us will give us a fair amount of
peace if any of the Houndettes ultimately lose their sight.

What I've done in the past when one of the Houndettes has to be on a bland
diet and we need to wait a bit before they ingest too much is to cook the
rice in chicken or beef bullion to make it more palatable to them.
Apparently the plain rice just cooked with water doesn't float their boat
too much. At least for the demanding ladies that I work for and the (low
sodium) bullion makes it more tolerable for those with discerning taste
buds at my house. Of course, they all demand vanilla yogurt on their food
too. Plain just doesn't cut it!

I'm so sorry to hear about Noah or any hound going to the bridge but,
honestly, I admire those of you who take seniors into your homes and hearts
knowing that you won't have as many years with them as you would like. I
look at my old girl, Jersey, and it takes my breath away when it hits me
that she's at least ten (or eleven or....?) and time is passing by too
quickly. There is a special place in heaven for you folks who rescue
seniors, knowing that your heart is going to be broken sooner rather than
later.

The Houndettes are slinging get well and heart healing drool to all in
need. I'm praying that 2013 is a good year for all of my two legged and
four legged friends.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger