[Dailydrool] Sasha the Aggressor

Dossey, Gwenda G gdossey at te.com
Mon Jan 28 03:58:40 PST 2013

Good morning!

I am looking for advice for our Sasha - she'll be 2 in April.  The past couple of months she's become aggressive with new dogs at the dog park.  Not out on hikes or anywhere else off-leash, but only at our dog park.  I've been trying to watch and see what triggers it and there are a couple of obvious ones like the new dog gets near our friend with the dog treats, a new puppy that is just uber exuberant or if someone she doesn't know sniffs her, but then there are other times when it seems like she just snaps for no apparent reason (mostly when I'm not watching!).  This happened a couple of weeks ago with a dog that she's known for a while, although is not part of our daily group (her pack).  We're working with a trainer who has me calling Sasha over to us until we can see the temperament of the new dog, and then when they seem OK, we let her go say hi.  That's worked a couple of times, but when I turn my back, boom, there she goes again.  Once they fight, and the new dog comes up again, its OK to play then.

Anyone else have a problem with their nearly 2 year old basset being aggressive?  If yes, what did you do?  Please e-mail me off-list!

Healing drool to all those who are ailing and heart healing drool for all those that have lost a dear one lately!

~Gwen, Teddi, Madden and Sasha~ (:>

(o_
// \
V_/_ <=penguin
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.