[Dailydrool] Giving Pills

Marilyn Burns mj_burns at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 28 05:18:04 PST 2013

For Amanda Lynn, burying a pill in a wad of braunsweiger works every time -
although it IS essential to first give her a "placibo" i.e. a small wad or
two without a pill first...

Sammi Sue was hopeless!  We went from cream cheese to braunsweiger and
on-down the list.  Whenever she would get wise to the fact that there might
be a pill inside - even her once favorite treats became taboo to her!  I
became forced to purchase her medications in liquid form - flavored - from
the pharmacy - when they were available - or make up a liquid myself.  I
would then use a measured baby syringe and shoot it in her mouth.    Bassets
have an opening on the side of the jaw - on either side - which allows you
to insert the tip into the mouth without needing them to open their jaw.  In
fact, you want to hold the jaw closed while you're squirting - so that they
swallow.

Just be certain to discuss it with your vet to make certain that whatever
you might be mixing the medication with will not cause a problem - like
antibiotics and milk...

Marilyn - loving Mom to Amanda Lynn and Bridgemates Samantha Sue and Bob
Burns