[Dailydrool] pumpkin and stool quality

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 13:52:59 PST 2013

 Beverly,
    Pumpkin works well for digestive upset and switching dogs to a new food without diarrhea.  If all fecals are negative this suggests to me that something else is going on and that might be that the dog food company has changed the formula of the food you have been using.  Many manufacturers do this periodically.
    I had used Wellness for years in 2002.  It was a great food and then the mom and pop company sold to a larger manufacturer.  Whammo!!! I had 10 Newfs with diarrhea.  I grabbed three at random and took them to the vet for fecals--all were negative but my vet agreed to give them flagyl.  This worked except it was expensive to treat 10 newfs this way and all would all go back to square one if I took them off it.
    Finally, I got fed up with it and went to WalMart and bought 50 pounds of Ol' Roy.  I thought, "This will either cure them or kill them."
    After one meal, all their stools were dry and normal.  I called Old Mother Hubbard that makes Wellness and they admitted they had been sold and that the new manufacturer had changed the recipe slightly and that it should not affect the dogs' health.  BS!  I switched them all to Nature's Recipe.
    Purina has recently done this to ONE and ProPlan by adding fake rubbery meat to most of its formulas.  The fake meat is made out of glycerin and soy--two ingredients I avoid like the plague.  I now use Diamond Naturals which is soy, corn, and wheat free with all ingredients grown and manufactured in the USA.  You might want to give it a try.  I would definitely seek out a new dog food.  The pumpkin will only be a temporary cure.
Marie Campbell

Man Plans ~ God Laughs