[Dailydrool] This and that

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 06:33:59 PST 2013

There really is a family for every hound. BaRCSE has had Clancy in our care
for quite a long time. He came to us emaciated and strongly heartworm
positive. He finally gained enough weight and, once the heartworm
medication shortage was over, he went through the treatment and did very
well. Then the poor guy went down in the rear. We were absolutely
devastated when this happened! All I can say is his foster mom is an
amazing woman because she just took it all in stride and was actually
talking about wheels for the boy if we had to. I just wish everyone in
rescue could clone her! Anyway, Clancy actually improved pretty well on the
meds and the good news is that he just went to his new home a couple of
weeks ago! This family had recently had their basset hound die and their
eight year old boy was heart broken over the loss of his dog. He saw
Clancy's picture and immediately said he was his dog! Fortunately, even
with some of his health issues, the boys parents agreed and took Clancy
into their home. I love happy endings!

Poor Maggie! One of my mastiff granddogs, Sasha, has terrible allergies.
Like you Marlene, my daughter was spending what amounted to a house payment
every month on vet bills because the allergies would lead to ear
infections, skin infections, UTI"s....the list was endless and continuous.
They finally did the blood tests and, among a bunch of other stuff, Sasha's
worst allergen is dust! How do you get away from dust?!?!? The situation
was so bad they finally put Sasha on Temaril long term and she gets a
course of antibiotics prophylactically every other month and it's working!
There are certainly long term side effects from the continued use of low
dose steroids but my daughter decided that it was a quality of life issue
and we'll deal with the long term problems if/when they happen. Of course,
the vet bills are still enormous because Sasha weighs 174 pounds and the
meds for a dog that huge is triple what most of us would pay but it has
still been so much better than having her be sick and miserable all the
time. Maybe the Temaril might be an option for your sweet Maggie? I'm just
so sorry for both of you and know how worried you must be.

The Houndettes are sending get well drool to Dexter, Maggie and every other
hound that needs it. They are also sending heart healing drool to all in
need. I'm hoping that the bridge gates close for a little while.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger