[Dailydrool] Kuder

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Fri Jan 18 14:07:57 PST 2013

Cathy:
I don't think you need to worry if Kuder goes on Prozac. Our aggressive dog Abner was on it for many years, and it helped him without causing any trouble. My feelings are that if a dog is really hurting, and a medication will help, it's a good thing to do as long as there are no damaging side effects.

Our Holly also suffers from psychogenic polyuria/polydypsia. Limiting her water is a challenge, with three dogs in the house. If she finds water anywhere, she dives right into drinking it. Since the other dogs don't always drain everything to the bottom of the bowl, I am constantly grabbing water bowls as soon as they eat; we have a very strict watering schedule. And don't even think of leaving the toilet lid up! (I won't go there.)

I suspect that Holly's people crated her a lot and did not give her water. She hates the crate! She came with one she completely ignored, and I eventually gave it away.

Though she's had limited water for quite some time now, nothing stops Holly. I think it's something you just adjust to and don't expect much change in the hound. But if anyone has had more success with this, let me know how you did it!
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets