[Dailydrool] Thank you fosters!!

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 4 16:08:25 PDT 2013

( I posted this to facebook and thought it should be here as well)

I have been meaning to post this for some time- and today finally have the time to sit down and do it. I have 'worked' many areas of basset rescue. And I know each 'job' within a rescue is vital to the whole organization. Generally I raise monetary or goods donations. I know others who operate the 'kennel' portion of a rescue. And yet others who spend many hours and dollars driving and transporting bassets in need to get them into rescue.

Then there are foster homes... I have fostered- mostly very short term for adult bassets and longer term for puppies. I know myself- I would not be able to let adult bassets go anywhere else after getting to know them- therefore I don't foster. I can't afford to have more hounds than the ones I have. I can foster puppies, cute as they are it is easier for me to let them go to their forever home.
I want to thank every person who does foster adults. You often take on the 'problem' hounds. Medical needs- or social issues. You take in bassets who have never lived with people in a house and you teach them the way. You take in the abused and teach them there are kind gentle hands and love in the world. You heal the maimed or those who did not have the healthcare they needed prior to coming into rescue. You learn what they like and what they don't. You teach them all about other hounds, toys, enough to eat and meds to stay healthy. You teach them to LIVE and then when the time is right and someone shows up to adopt them - you let them go. Surely a piece of your heart must tear off and leave with each one- but you let them go. You have done your job and prepared them for the rest of their life. I want to thank those of you who do this job! I can't do it-and I thank each one of you who do it over and over again!

Angelika

Sent from Windows Mail