[Dailydrool] Bunny Hunting

Ellen Cole erc2761 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 13:16:17 PDT 2013

Why in heaven's name would bunnies opt to build their nest and have their
babies in a fenced in yard owned by basset hounds? It never ceases to amaze
me! Every year, just as Bev said, like clockwork. A couple years, the nests
were found with very very new babies, barely a bite...so to speak. Ahem.
 Last year, when I was (naturally!) home alone, I called the beasts in from
the yard and GracieLou FlatBasset starts to come into the garage heading
for the kitchen with a bunny in her mouth...You know those hedgehog stuffed
toys? About that size!  Of course, I can't command her to "Drop It" (even
though I wondered if she would...she rarely does anything unless she wants
to do it). IF she drops it and either of the other two decide to take it
off her paws, I'd have a brawl on my hands. So I managed to stop her
progress toward the kitchen AND got the other two into the kitchen and
closed the door. THEN I managed to close the garage door to the yard (that
required a rake to reach OVER Gracie and the bunny because I REALLY didn't
want to get too close! THEN I commanded that she drop it...and she DID!
Then I told her to leave it and corralled her into the kitchen and closed
the door. Then I had to get a shovel and pick up very-dead bunny and take
it outside (to the side yard not included in the fenced in part) where it
was laid to rest in the shade of the bushes. BLECH! The things we have to
do!

Ellen & Miss Magnolia & GracieLou FlatBasset & Oliver & Abigail (ATB)