[Dailydrool] Morse Trains the Neighbours, and Nails

rebecca stanton pummorse at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Jul 18 00:12:26 PDT 2013

Since we moved to this village nearly 3 years ago Morse has managed to worm his way into a lot of the neighbours lives.  He goes into the pub every day and demands gravy bones by woofing loudly (and in this hot weather only half the woof comes out and he sounds like a seal asking for a fish to be thrown).  He stands at the pub kitchen door to see if there are any scraps, even a carrot will do.  He wandered into the verger's house a few weeks ago uninvited but there was nothing to be found.  Another neighbour always finds him a digestive biscuit and he adores her, another pops in now and then and he cuddles up to her on the sofa.  The car park attendant at the quay finds a dog biscuit for him.  But the real find has been a couple who adore him and who live at the far end of the village.  Their house an open house, where the front door is nearly always open, and Morse just barges straight in and if there is no-one to greet him in the lounge he announces himself loudly.  He has even been known to take himself upstairs and root around until he finds someone.  Well, this particular neighbour is a big meat eater, and hence goes to the butchers a lot (unlike me, as I am a vegetarian, something I am sure that Morse heartily disapproves of).  He went last week and bought some pigs trotters (blench) and while there asked if they had any dogs bones?  Well, they came out with 2 huge specimens.  One was so large and so fresh I did wonder if it might moo.  Morse was beside himself and spent about half an hour just barking at this thing in the garden.  There's definitely something about bassets, their characters speak for themselves.

I have been trying (unsuccessfully) over the last few months to cut Morse's nails and now they are really long.  He had a bad experience as a puppy with  nails (nothing to do with me I might add) and now he is like something possessed when he sees clippers.  I occasionally manage to snip one when he is fast asleep, and that is okay with the odd one but this is every nail now that needs doing!  In our last home there were many more pavements and he has also slowed down a lot over the last year and isn't walking as much.  We have a vets appointment for later this morning.  Last time at the vets it took about 4 people to hold him down.  *sigh*.

We send drool to all in need.

Becky, Morse (did you say nails) and Pumbaa ATB