[Dailydrool] Psuedomonas Infection

Kenneth Miller klmiller at rev.net
Thu Jul 18 08:57:55 PDT 2013

Hi Pat

I'm mostly a lurker, but read the drool daily, and post occasionally. I too would be interested in any kind of suggestions.

My Bosley, soon to be 9, has had a horrible psuedomonas infection in his left ear going back two years in May. We have tried almost everything to get it stopped, but nothing has seemed to work.

I'll be the first to say that Bosley is a hound who was not treated well early in life, and as such is really not a good hound to work on, me cleaning his ears, or even trying it, might result in a lost finger, and I really cannot afford to do that. If I thought I could get him to do the Blue Power Cleaner that Jan recommended, I'd try it in a heartbeat.

We have him into the vet about once every six weeks where they put him under, and clean out the ear and apply a treatment of BNT, Baytril, and two other things which I cannot remember now. It helps some, but there is no long term result.

We've also had him run a course of another antibiotic, which I have to go look see which, but again, it only seems to lessen the problem or slow it down, but the end result is usually a really smelly, gunky ear in 5-6 weeks, and we start all over again.

The vet has said that he does not know what to do other than an ear canal ablation, he offered a referral to the Virginia Tech Vet school, but my faith in them was shaken by some recent news stories.

Any ideas you get or hear of, I'd love to listen.

Best
Ken and Beth, with Bosley and Edsel (ATB)