[Dailydrool] Leather Couch Question

Kate Lawson clawson at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jul 1 15:08:26 PDT 2013

I have experience with both leather and upholstered furniture. There are dog issues with both. None of my 4 Bassets have scratched the leather.  However, the hound who considered the leather lounge chair his very own, was a senior and shedding heavily due to his old age. He spent most of his time in the chair. I was able to clean the leather well but his hairs got stuck in all the crevices and in the under-cushion fabric which was loosely woven. I could not get them out of the fabric. So cleaning was a chore for me - more so than washing a cover.  I tried using a Sure Fit pet cover on the chair but it would constantly slip off the leather. It needed some extra straps for attachment that I never got around to adding. So I gave up on the cover.

 My upholstered couch is covered with a fitted sheet and then a Sure Fit pet couch cover.  I have 2 covers so I can wash one while using the other. I just fold up the cover flaps, carry it carefully outside and shake it out before I launder it and have no trouble with the hair.

I use Stain Solver to presoak all my dog laundry, including any of my bed linens that get "doggie" - it is a concentrated oxygen cleaner (like oxy clean but without the fillers) and works like magic to get all the stuff back looking and smelling like new. I buy it online.

Kate, Lucy, Daisy