[Dailydrool] Ace

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 3 17:56:15 PDT 2013

Hi Basset folks,
    I have had nothing but negative experiences with Ace.  I had a 12 year old Newfoundland boy who had laryngeal paralysis and tachycardia.  The vet's gave me a BIG bottle of Ace--only 5 mgs--as a means of calming him down; hopefully, alleviating some of his breathing issues.  All it did was knock him out for 16 hours.  He couldn't wake up even though he wanted to.  It scared him and me.  A beagle mix I had was given ace for anxiety.  When we arrived at the vet's, she completely shook off her lethargy like she was never sedated at all.  If anything  she became more violent.
    I later found out that many times giant dogs--especially elderly giant dogs are very sensitive to sedation.  I was informed that he got a Chihuahua sized dose.  I never used it again.
    Another issue with Ace when it is used as an induction drug to sedation for surgery is that it can cause post-op bleeding problems.  There has been a AVMA study on this.  I have known of three different Newfs to have a bleeding problems post-op after ace was used for induction.  They were not von W carriers.
Marie Campbell
& the Basset Gang.

Man Plans ~ God Laughs