[Dailydrool] Heartworm and Flea Protection

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 16:33:31 PDT 2013

It sounds like I am way in the minority here, but my vet loves Pro Heart.
 It is a 6 month shot for heartworms.  I like it for a few reasons.  I have
allergy dogs.  I don't have to worry about the flavorings or any of that.
 Also, two of my dogs weigh barely over 50 pounds.  It is a shot.  So, they
get the dose for their weight, not a pill for a 50-100 lbs. dog.  For
Pete's sake, Bugsey weighs 52 lbs.  Also, my dogs have never found the
pills to be yummy.  Well, Blitzen ATB did.  She liked to take her pill and
then steal Elwood's off the counter.  She weighed 40 lbs.  Elwood weighed
72.  The first time I called the vet in a panic.  After I found out she
wasn't going to die, I just cursed at all the money she ate.  But, I
digress.  It is a huge pain for me to get these pills down their throats
when they don't want to take them and then you THINK you got them all down
and you find a wet pill on the floor when you are done and you don't know
which idiot spit it out!

We don't have fleas here.  We do get an occasional tick every year or so.
 My problem is the boys are allergic to mosquito bites and we have horse
flies.  Because I have allergy dogs without a perfect skin layer and a very
sensitive skin layer, my vet recommends Vectra.  I only use it when I need
it.  It lasts longer than 30 days if you aren't dealing with ticks.  I
don't know about fleas.  I put it on before they go to bed and they are
nice and dry when they wake up.  I have had no reactions in my small sample
of three dogs.

I am with Sandi on flea collars.  I had Bismark ATB eat 2/3 of his sister's
flea collar when he was 10 weeks old.  I have never put another flea collar
on a dog.  These three have already almost killed each other with regular
collars.

Jennifer, with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess