[Dailydrool] Zoey and running away

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Tue Jun 11 04:14:19 PDT 2013

Dear Zoey:
I am so glad you have found a Drool home--they are the best.

Let me tell you about that running away thing. It's not a real good idea. I did it twice, at least as far as my humans know. But I have a murky past, and it's possible I ran away with my brother before that--we ended up in a shelter before we came to Tri-State.

I know that not every home is worthy of being a forever one. I had one of those before I came to my current human (I love my current mama like crazy, and she is MY human). I ran away from my former home 'cause I didn't like those people very much--they didn't even read the Drool! The first time I ran away, Tri-State found me. But the second time I got hit by a car; my human thinks it was an SUV, van, or small truck, 'cause that is what I am afraid of now. Take it from me, you do not want to go that route. My leg got broken, and a really hurty vet had to put it back together again. Mom says he really did me a favor, though she knows it hurt, but I'm not so sure about that. Believe me, you don't wanna be in a vet place, with lots of pain and funny drugs. I now have a plate and pins that still hold my leg together, even though it's pretty well healed up.

What I'm saying is that since you have a good home (I know it's a good home, since it's a long-time Drool home), you might wanna think about giving up on the running thing. It took me a while to realize how good I have it here. I adore my mama (though I'm not so sure about papa yet), and she feeds me good things, loves me a lot, and takes care of me.

I know your humans will do what they can about doors and gates, to keep you safe. But you should think about not dashing out them. After all, I didn't mean to get in front of that car, and it's not something I want to do again. The hurty vet said I only healed up so fast 'cause I'm only one year old. If I'd been older, it might have been another matter. I don't want you going there, let me tell you.
Horton, the newest Dashing Basset