[Dailydrool] June 20 Calendar

Julie Stevenson bassets5 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 00:14:58 PDT 2013

This is my Cookie. She left for the bridge on April 3, 2013. She was the
boss around here and we certainly miss her. Her departure was
unexpected. I thought she was bloating but when she was taken to the
vet, it seems she was bleeding into her abdomen and it was most likely a
spleen rupture. She was almost gone when we took her to the vet and we
let her go.

We've been volunteers with basset rescue since 2001 when I adopted my
first basset Maggie from the local shelter. We've had our share of
fosters and foster failures thru the years all of which I have been by
their side when they left for the bridge. With Cookie however, I was
unable to go to the vet with her. My husband and son went with her. I
had surgery 8 days prior and had just been home from the hospital a
couple of days. I know she knew that I loved her something special and
wished she could have stayed with us longer. I will always regret not
being there with her but she is always in my heart.

My old signature line was Julie and the Stevenson Family Circus. It's
not so much a circus anymore with 4 ancient dogs 2 ancient cats. It's
really more sedate now. However, we recently foster failed with a small
terrier/doxie mix named Missy who is 2.5 years. She certainly has
brightened up the place but bassets are still my main focus. So I've
been on the lookout for another basset and had even toyed with the idea
of driving down to Daphneyland in search of one. Yesterday I found out
that one of my comrades in basset rescue from way back when had passed
away and her basset was going to be coming into rescue. I knew I didn't
want to see her beloved basset ending up with who knows who so today the
lovely Nutter Butter is resting comfortably on our couch. She is sad
though, missing her people and her house. But I know her mama would be
happy that Nutter is with us.

Sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to all to know about Cookie and
Missy and now Nutter Butter! How very interesting that Nutter Butters
are a cookie and Cookie is at the bridge! A coincidence? I think not!

Julie and the Stevenson Family ??
Winston (ancient), Quincy(ancient) and Nutter Butter the bassets
Penny the (ancient) beagle
Blackie the (ancient) lab
Missy the newest addition terrier/doxie mix
Puffin the (ancient) black cat
Amelia the (ancient) explorer kitty
Spot and Merlin the brudder kitties