[Dailydrool] Recognizing Siblings

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 20 13:42:13 PDT 2013

They do, they do remember their siblings.

Our Cyrus was a gun shy hunting dog.  An American Lab.  Huge, long legged blocky headed bird dog.  He was dumped at the pound at 1 year of age due to being gun shy.  I pulled him after he'd been there 6 weeks .... somebody had to ... that day or they were going to put him down.  I used to take him to the dog park 3 times a week to run.

One day we went to the dog park and there was a dog waiting for us.  He looked EXACTLY like Cyrus.  He came RUNNING up to Cyrus and he and Cyrus took off across the park like lightning.  The owner was a bit coy.  His dog was a hunting dog and he shared ownership with another hunter so the dog lived half his time in Oregon and the other half of his time in Saratoga, CA.  He was not very forthcoming ..... said sharing the dog was a hassle and he wasn't hunting much anymore and they had heard that Cyrus (I did not change his name) was rescued and that his "foster" mom took him to this park (in Saratoga, small world right?) and wanted to know if he was available for placement.

At this point I'd had Cyrus for more than a year and my whole family was in love with him and I told the guy he was our pet.  We let them play a bit and I took some pictures.   The dogs were identical and obviously recongized each other.

I saw the guy about half a dozen more times over the course of the next 6 years .... and the dogs always reacted the same.  One time he mentioned their birthday (2/06) which I had never shared with him.  I'll never understand why nobody bailed Cyrus out of the shelter, I guess he was just meant to be mine.

--Dale