[Dailydrool] UTI

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 07:31:52 PDT 2013

I have been watching with interest the number of UTIs poppijng up all over
the place. I wonder if the weather has something to do with it: withholding
urination can cause a UTI and some of these dogs would rather miss a meal
than go pee outside in the rain/sleet/snow.
Also because Nigel is compromised (and incontinent) he has a propensity for
UTIs. On the recommendation of another Drooler I began giving cranberry
(one cap with his food every morning), D-Mannose (A sprinkle on his food
every morning-- it lasts forever) and he is on prescription diet SO (but he
also has bladder stones that required ER surgery.)
I don't know whether it was the surgery, the food, or the supplements I
give, but he has not had any problem for quite awhile.

What I watch for with Nigel (since he is catheterized two or three times a
day) is dark, cloudy, very stinky urine.
I really do believe the supplements have helped enormously, and would
suggest starting them once the initial infection is cleared up.

Just my suggestion. NotaVet.
Nigel and Llewis are my puppies: I whelped them in this room.I cannot
believe they are going to be EIGHT YRS OLD in July!!!

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Doc