[Dailydrool] Paisley's anxiety problem

Tonya Fisher tonyamfisher at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 18:57:12 PDT 2013

Hi all, thanks to those who have offered suggestions. We're debating on whether to ditch the crate or not. Hubby thought she might do better blocked in an area where there's tile, and she'll have room to "go" without turning around and walking in it. We're also getting her a Kong, to help occupy her when we have to be away.

I had to laugh at the question on whether she's potty trained. That would be a NO. Paisley is our third basset, and all of them have been painfully slow to get it down. I try to keep on top of it, but sometimes they just don't play fair. I remember my first guy, who as a puppy went outside and peed like the perfect little gentleman, then returned to the door to come in. As I was closing the door behind him, praising him for his stellar performance, he was leaving a puddle by my feet.

Paisley has discovered the heat registers on the floor along the walls. She's figured out if she pees in them, the pee magically disappears. My hubby, who has a tendency to zone out in front of the tv when he's on "Paisley detail", was bragging about how well she does under his watch. I picked her up and could feel (kinda gross, but effective none the less) that she had just went somewhere. That's when I discovered the register trick. Yesterday she tried it with poop, with less than successful results.

Tonight, just as I was getting ready to take her out, she walked into her crate, peed, then ran back over to play with Budner. She actually used it as a bathroom.

As far as her crate time goes, she's not in there much. I initially thought it would be easier to clean the crate than the carpet when she has her episodes. So I'd put her in there before I'd head out of the room. But really, it's just a mess regardless. I should also say the anxiety isn't any less when she isn't crated. She'll be playing with Budner, and I'll try to slip away, and she'll often start stressing. If she's really sleepy, she might be ok for an hour or so, and sleep on the couch next to Budner. The only odd exception is when I head for the kitchen to start dinner. She lays on the couch and watches through the dining room, into the kitchen without making a peep. I've wondered if it's because she can still see me, or because she knows I'm fixing her dinner.

My other question is, how should I react to her messes? Particularly when I catch her? Does showing disapproval help to teach her it's not ok? Or is this a type of confidence issue that my negative reaction might make worse? I don't yell at her, but it's probably obvious I'm not happy to see what she's done. Maybe I should just ignore her to withhold attention?

Sorry to go on so long. This is just such a challenge. Again, thanks for the help. I appreciate it!