[Dailydrool] What a couple of days - Max and JP try to keep it short

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 30 11:53:15 PDT 2013

Last night, JP was coughing badly again, so I ran out and got him robitussin dm, and I emailed his vet about it, apologizing profusely for emailing on a Friday night.  Of course, once I got the med. and the reply from Dr. S., JP stopped coughing.  He is going in Monday, anyway, and last night I thought he was going in today, but....
Max went in instead.   Max did not look good today.  He had his second chemo on Thursday, and he was doing well Thursday and Friday, but today he refused to eat or drink.  I start my day at 4 am usually, do first outs, first meds, and since Max has so many, I space them out.  He got some early that didn't require to be given with food, and when I offered him a variety of prime choices of things to eat, it was clear that he was not going to eat.  The the oncologist's office is part of a 24 hour emergency vet facility, and I called at 6:30 only to find out there were no available app'ts with the oncologist, (but maybe they could squeeze him in), but at the very least, they took my number for the oncologist to call me back.  By 8:30, my head was going to explode with all the "what if's", going into the weekend, and my vet closes at 1 on Sat, so I called my regular vet's office, and Dr. P agreed to squeeze me in, and I am so grateful for the care she gave to Max.  He got right in, and she said he was dehydrated and probably nauseous, so the meds that needed to be given with food were given as shots, he got subq fluids, an appetite stimulant, and they are going to open the doors for him tomorrow am (more fluids and shots) even though, typically, they don't see clients on Sunday.  Dr. P spent 45 minutes with us, gave us great attention, dialed the oncologist's office twice till she reached him, and Max's meds are going to be tweaked.  She was great on the phone, and I am glad I didn't have to speak with the oncologist because I was having a hard time controlling my tears.  One day at a time.
I just forced a jar of stage 2 chicken and rice baby food in him, spoon feeding him, but he got it down, and then he drank on his own for the first time today.  I am debating whether to give him another jar later.  Also, I am debating what to tell my sister when she calls tonight for a report.  She will be coming in tonight from  Los Angeles, but is due to go back tomorrow, not coming here until Monday night.  I think I will probably sugar coat how he is feeling so she won't worry so much while she is away.  I am pretty certain he is weighing heavily on her mind, and I don't want to add more negativity to her thoughts.  I can come clean on Tuesday, when she will be home for a few days to be with him, and by the Grace of God, I pray he is more perky by then, and eating again.
I will have to take his temp 2x a day for the next few days.
When I took it this am it was 100.3, but then at the Vet's it dropped to 99.3.
Poor little guy.
Healing drool to all in need, and I hope you all have the best possible Holiday days.
Jackie and the herd