[Dailydrool] Heidi the dickens

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Tue May 7 15:56:19 PDT 2013

As I was reading your post, Kim, I was laughing and thinking of wonderful memories with our Jane, AKA Lady Jane, who was no lady at all. Heidi sounds like her double in everything but the poop eating. Jane had no desire for poop, but all the other things you mentioned were her favorite pastimes. Only difference is that I do not do beading. But none of my craft items were safe from Jane, once she decided to get into them. And she had our cat Duncan trained to knock down anything she could not reach, whether or not it was food. I always said they were "in cahoots."

Jane would counter cruise to the back of my stove. No food was safe, as long as it was remotely within her reach. She'd also grab undies (for either gender) and socks--the nastier the better. TV remotes--she got so many I stopped counting at six. She ate cookbooks and chewed on the butler's table my carpenter-brother made for my parents. The only thing she didn't eat was us or her animal siblings, for which we are truly thankful. Jane was always gentle. Though she scared cats, she never really harmed one.

We lost her a year ago to pancreatic cancer. She has left a huge hole in our hearts and home. Now we have three dogs who almost never counter cruise. I don't have to pick up socks or undies lest a hound get them. My home is very empty indeed.

The impy hounds will make you crazy. They will also dig a deep hole in your heart. Love up Heidi, discipline her, and know that you will always have a story to tell about her. She is one special hound indeed.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets