[Dailydrool] Roundworms

CANDY DUSEK lovebassets at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 8 13:55:19 PDT 2013

I don't recall ever seeing posts concerning roundworms.  Maggie, 14 years old, had diarrhea for several days and I took a sample into the vet.  He told me that "interestingly enough" she has roundworms.  Maggie has never eaten poop, but she does eat soil on occasion.  She has never had worms in her 14 years.  I was told by a worker at the vet clinic that dogs should be dewormed every six months.  Is this true???  I have never de-wormed a dog that isn't diagnosed with them (I do give Heartgard though).

Anyway, I asked if I should also deworm Higgins, as he does eat poop when he gets the chance.  So, I am currently deworming two dogs, one of which has a very sensitive stomach and is recovering from the initial dose (I have to give two more doses over the next couple weeks).  In the meantime . . . I have seen no evidence of worms in the deposits out back!  I'm sort of having a hard time believing the diagnosis, but I will do the treatment for safe keeping.

Candy Dusek

Miss Maggie Mae

C. Higgins