[Dailydrool] Roundworms

Pam Farris savethebassets at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 9 16:25:42 PDT 2013

Ivermectin, the active ingredient in Heartguard will kill
most of the internal parasites including roundworms, but not at the dosage that
is in Heartguard.  Ivermectin is used for many things in varying
doses.  Most individuals will never have to deal with most of them.
Rescues often do.

We routinely use Fenbendazole (you can find it at the pet
store as Strongid-C)  for the internal parasites except for tapeworms for
which we use a different drug (Praziquantel).  Negative Fecal tests are
not an absolute final say as to whether a dog has internal parasites – they
might not be shedding eggs at the time of the fecal count so it could show up
as a false negative.  Our rescues are dewormed with Fenbendazole for 5
days straight, then skip 21 days and then we use it again for 3 days
straight.  There are other choices in drugs but we have to pinch pennies
so we go the economical route.

That is probably more than you want to know but I think the
takeaway should be 1.  A negative fecal test does not necessarily mean
that a dog does not have internal parasites.  2.  Any dewormer will
only kill certain stages of an internal parasite so that is why you repeat in 3
weeks – to catch the ones that your first deworming didn’t (except for the
tapeworm dewormer – it kills them all dead with one dose).  3.  It is
easy for any dog that is exposed to other dogs’ poop to pick up worms.

Pam Farris – Basset Rescue of Florida