[Dailydrool] Ben

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 22 23:18:06 PDT 2013

IMHO, at this time of night, with Ben having drunk down some water, you should both think about heading for bed.  If you stay up and worry that will worry Ben.  Please remember that pets and kids read us very well and if you are worried and upset then Ben will assume you have reason to be and he'll get to worrying and upsetting himself more.

I hate it when they're sick and they can't tell us what's wrong, just hate it.  My mom taught me a few things that comfort me in the night when my dogs are sick

Her advice was:

1)  settle them down, lay down with them if you have to, and then watch the breath.  They shouldn't be panting at rest and if they are you need to find out why or take them to the emergency vet

2)  take their temperature (normal is around 101).  If it's above 104 then you should at a minimum call and talk to the emergency vet and report what you are seeing and take direction, which will likely include transporting the dog

3)  Run your finger along the inside of your own cheek.  Notice how smooth and slippery it is.  Now run the same finger along the inside of the dogs cheek.  It should feel the same as yours, if it's dry or sticky the dog is dehydrating.

Now, if the dog isn't panting, running a dangerous fever nor dehydrated then you will probably serve him better by letting him sleep and getting some yourself and see what can be done at the vet in the morning.

My mom (may her memory be for blessing) was pretty awesome.  All of the above is good to know.

We're drooling and praying for Ben, and for you too Doug.

--Dale