[Dailydrool] Elsinore's feeling fine these days

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Tue Sep 3 11:39:17 PDT 2013

It's been about a month since our Elsinore's surgery, and I'm pleased to be able to report that her rear end no longer resembles that of a naked mole rat and she's back to being her old cheerfully bossy, bouncy self again. From looking at her, you'd never know she has cancer. My fingers are crossed that her surgeon is right about it being months (and months and months?) before the tumor on her hip returns because I'm really enjoying this time we're having together now that Elsinore's feeling good again. Elsinore says she'd be enjoying it a whole lot more if I'd give her treats *every* time she asks for them. And she's just come in to ask for another one.

She's now back to eating her usual kibble, though it took a week for her to accept the fact that it was no longer going to be primed with people food. Once I saw she was eager to eat cheese again, I decided her normal appetite had returned, so no more bread, rice, canned dog food, or other goodies sprinkled on top of her kibble. She's not happy about this, but she's eating what she should and when she should, so she's not unhappy enough to go on strike about it. Instead, she's just amped up her demands for between-meal snacks. You've never really been pestered until you've been pestered by our Elsinore for treats. It's an art form for her, and she practices it faithfully so she can stay at the top of her game with it.

Elsinore's recovery period was difficult because she's a terrible patient. Constantly on guard and ready to take the offensive at any moment against whoever looks as if they're about to assault her person with pills or even just a kind word. The surprise of several Secret Pawtner care packages made a stressful time much less so for all of us. Elsinore welcomed the diversion of sniffing the boxes inside and out and carefully examining all of the contents, including every single sheet of tissue paper. I was pleased to see her so interested and engaged in something other than swearing at me for looking at her the wrong way! Many, many Droolers sent encouraging, comforting messages liberally slimed with healing drool. (A couple weeks ago a Drooler sent me a Blue Mountain card, but I never could get my computer to open it. Whoever sent this, your card was much appreciated even though I couldn't read its message.)

Thank you all for the care and concern you've shown our little girl during a frightening time with unwanted news. She's doing just fine now, well, except for the deplorable treat situation around here. But rest assured, she's hard at work on getting that problem fixed.

Elizabeth