[Dailydrool] Dear Gracie, update on Bo, and inspiring thoughts

Valerie vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 3 17:11:04 PDT 2013

Dear Gracie,
  this is Harley of Hawaii. I also rub foreheads and snooters with my mom first thing in the morning. I sleep on the waterbed next to her (her side is heated; Dad's side is not, and I get the middle). when I wake in the morning, I wriggle, snuggle up to mom and start scrubbing my snooter under her chin and my forehead up her cheek, then roll over on my back molded into her side and she rubs my belly for awhile and we both silently purr until we are both awake. We both love it and can't imagine waking up any other way. I inherited this privilege from the late Lynx the cat. he used to walk up Moms midline from knees to chest, then simply collapse and roll to the side where he would be upside down in the crook of her arm and she would stroke him. After Lynx left for the Rainbow Bridge, I took over.
  this is Bo, commander in chief of the Pacific Basset Feet. my mom and I are working through the list of suggestions by Droolers about our out of synch problems (due in her opinion to my dementia and in my opinion to her resistance to following my command to live on the third shift). she tried snuggling me like my wuss brother, Harley (see above)' but I thrash and fight until Harley bites me and she returns me to terra firma. She has tried Benedryl up to three tablets, spacing them out or massing them, but I am a commando and do not give in to drugs. she has tried spending all day keeping me up--that is a full-time job--I didn't mind it too much, since she was entertaining me and adjusting to my tortoise pace moving if attempting outside errands and forgoing her own work at home, and I slept just a little better, but the lazy slave says she can't really devote 24 hours a day solely focused on me. (why not? I ask?!!). We still have Melatonin, and Anapril on our list, and a consultation with the vet next week). In the meantime, she is up with me every couple of hours throughout the night, talking, comforting, or providing snacks. I fail to see what the problem is or why she is complaining. I sleep fine while she is completing her daytime activities. she's a wuss too.
   finally, this is Val of Hawaii. I was at a moving celebration of life/funeral service for a friend on Saturday, and in the program was the most wonderful quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson. it made me think of all of you who so help this Basset community of human and canine lives alike and I wanted to share it with you all; many lives of both species have breathed easier because of you.
  "To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. this is to have succeeded." Ralph Waldo Emerson