[Dailydrool] Barney not eating

Ron Buries rburies at verizon.net
Thu Sep 12 11:09:46 PDT 2013

Sally, I have read with interest your post regarding Rolph’s loss of weight and loss of appetite. Barney has experienced the same symptoms. Last December I took Barney to the vet because he was just not himself. Waking up in the night moaning, and wanting attention, not wanting to eat, just not himself. Blood tests showed he had a low thyroid. Our vet prescribed thyroid meds and a month later we returned to the vet and had is levels rechecked. Everything looked fine. At the last minute we weighed Barney and I was shocked to see he had lost 5 pounds. Barney’s weight has been between 50 -52 pounds for 10 years, so when I saw 45 pounds flash on the screen I became worried.

Barney began to lose interest in his food which was not like him. For the next several months I would take him in to the vet and weigh him. I asked if we should do follow up tests and if the thyroid meds could be the problem. She didn’t feel that was the problem
because of the x-ray’s and blood tests we did in December. I tried changing his food to no avail. Was finally told to try puppy food. He would only eat a few bites and quit. When Barney hit  39 pounds I decided it was time to get a second opinion. Barney looked like poor Kelvin Carmen had rescued.

 I then contacted my old vet and she ran blood tests that came back normal, and a barium contrast radiographic study. The results showed evidence of gastrointestinal track disease. Severe enteritis, an inflammation of the small intestine,which was possibly ulcerative. Suddenly everything started to come together, the waking up at night and laying on the grass as if he was cooling his tummy. He was.  Barney was placed on Amoxicillin and carafate . His food was changed to Royal Canin Gi High Energy k9. It has been three weeks now and Barney is doing much better. We did take him off the thyroid medication. He is up to 42 pounds and is eating! He is asking for his walks. Things are looking good.  We have a follow up with my Vet on 9/16.

Looking back I feel terrible that I put Barney through so much suffering especially when everything pointed to something more then what was suggested by my first Vet. Through the years I have been able to judge when Barney was not feeling well I guess the lesson for me from now on is to trust my intuition and feelings about his health.. I pray I don't’ make this mistake like this again.

Ron..sorry Barney
         &
Barney it’s O.K. dad just don’t do it again!!