[Dailydrool] stray dogs in Hawaii

Valerie vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 19:40:53 PDT 2014

In the area where we live (but probably not all areas on the island) the protocol for a found stray tends to go as follows. capture the dog and have it scanned for a microchip. Put up posters with the dog's picture "found dog" all over your neighborhood and at local stores; also on your front lawn, notify the humane society, list the dog with picture on craigslist and hang on to it for a week if possible. If nothing comes of this, advertise it for "rehoming" on craigslist or give it to the no-kill shelter in our area. As Bev mentioned a trip to the Humane society usually doesn't end well for the dog.

we have been lucky. we have probably captured a half dozen strays since we have lived in this state and all have been reunited with their owners within a day or so, although we have had to separate our own dogs from the newcomers a few times. but stray dogs are rare in our particular area. there are other areas of the state where they are not, and in those same areas the fates of those dogs are often not good no matter what alternative is chosen.