[Dailydrool] Can Dogs Tell Time

Sherry Carreon sherry.carreon at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 19:32:57 PDT 2014

I have been a Drooler for years, but seldom post, but going to try and do better.  I am married to a scientist and researcher and our Bassets have fascinated him for years. I have told him that yes they understand us, yes they feel love and joy and they know when we are happy or sad. They mourn too. Anyway, being the scientist that he is, he doubted, but over the years he has become a believer.

The other day he told me he had read an article written by scientists regarding the theory of dogs telling time. The research has shown that they can in fact tell time, but how has been the mystery. This group believes the best theory is they tell time by their noses. For example the scent of food and their surroundings at feeding time is strong, but throughout the day that scent fades until we once again feed them, and as we usually feed at the same time each day this is a learned behavior.

I may not be explaining this very well, but hubby now believes our Bassets can tell time. They do know when it is breakfast and dinner time, and if they are not fed within 10-15 minutes of that time, they let us know. We feed the same time 99% of the time, the household scents are the same, they also would know when Phil would get home from work, when it is bed time, etc. of course I also believe that Basset Hounds are very smart and they just know these things.

Just wanted to share that bit of news and Phil said he would try and find the article if anyone was interested in reading.

Want to send heart felt drool to all those that are in need, all are in our prayers and thoughts.

Sherry and the 2 very smart Bassets Sherman and JR
Sent from my iPad