[Dailydrool] Flea control

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Tue Aug 12 13:33:39 PDT 2014

Fleas (what was Noah THINKING???) are very difficult to get rid of once
established in a home. I'm by no means up todate on current methods, so
can only offer a few old-timey things that helped back in the days
before Frontline, Advantage, etc., etc.

1. Mothballs in your vacuum cleaner bag.
2. Aerosol bombs still are a possibility if you can close up the room
you're treating (it's been years since I've had to use them, but believe
there are directions as to how long to stay out of room. Once that time
has passed, shouldn't be a problem for asthmatics (you could ask doc to
be sure).
3. Flea-killing powder sprinkled lavishly along baseboards, under
cushions, between mattress and box-spring.
4. Apply topical flea killers to the dogs; usually needs to be done
every 30 days. There also are once-a-month pills now, tho I haven't
tried them.
5. Along with, or instead of the flea powders, there is a powder that I
cannot remember the name of that kills fleas (and other insects) by
drying them. It, whatever it is -- maybe Borox or something like it --
is not harmful, at least in the sense of fumes, tho not to be eaten.
Best used under cushions, in creases of sofas, chairs bedding,
mattresses, etc.

Since the house sounds totally infested, you might just have to get
everyone (dogs, too) out and employ an exterminator. But even that won't
help in the long run if you don't treat the DOGS regularly.

Riche