[Dailydrool] Conley's Nails

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 08:37:00 PDT 2014

I took Conley for a walk and noticed how long his nails had gotten and when
we got home I got the STUFF out to cut nails, bribed him onto a couch where
I could reach his feet without laying prone on the floor and took a good
look in his eyes which said
"Not on your cookies, you won't"
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Muzzletime.

So I muzzled his highness. I learned a long time ago that a muzzle may not
really be necessary but it is if you don't trust the dog because then you
can cut the nails without worrying about being bitten and it goes a lot
faster.

I forgot about oiled python part.
Picked up a foot and the dog was gone on his way down the steps to the bed
clawing at the muzzle as he went.
Got him back, now he's mad.
Picked up a foot and he slithered out of my grasp, the growling now rising
to a nice crescendo and the eyes cold and hard, clawing at that muzzle
which looks, truth be told, loose. Got the nails on one foot, picked up the
next and he screamed (note to self: have that shoulder x-rayed Monday when
he goes in.)
Very rapidly while Conley squirreled around snarling and trying to bite my
hand even with the muzzle on I did two more feet. Halfway through the
fourth the muzzle flew across the room and I did a quick two-step back as
the jaws clanged shut where my hand had been.

Make no mistake: Conley aroused is a formidable dog. (Also my reflexes are
still damn good, if I do say so myself.) So, now angry with HIM, I decided
to quit while I had my fingers and as I put the trimmers down, Conley
lunged forward, wagging his tail, kissing, wanting a treat!!!
Not on your little life, Conley.

MomPerson, defeeted.