[Dailydrool] Advice for raising orphan puppies

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Sun Aug 17 19:30:43 PDT 2014

Unfortunately I have had that experience after losing the dam 3 days after
whelping, leaving 7 basset puppies.   Your best choice is to find a
lactating bitch of any breed (can be a false pregnancy) and have her care
for the puppies.  Second best choice is for you to feed the puppies and have
an experienced bitch "care" for them (stimulate, clean and keep them warm).
Last choice is for you and at least one other helper feed and care for the
puppies.

A couple words of caution:  don't keep them so warm that their noses and
feet are bright red . that is too warm and all of the books tend to say the
temperature is too warm (in my experience).  Provide them a "soft" heat
source they can move to and away from.

We use tube socks filled with rice, microwaved (about 3 minutes) until warm.
We double the socks so the outer sock can be taken off for washing.  These
socks can also be used to "corral" the puppies into one area since they
don't have a mom to snuggle up to.  They do make stuffed dogs you can put a
hot water bottle in also.

In regards to feeding, you can use commercial formula but we have found that
goat's milk works better and is easier for them to digest.  Unless you are
very experienced in tube feeding, I would avoid that.  Bottle feeding is ok
. just remember to tip the puppy upside down (head down) when you take the
nipple out.  This prevents aspiration.  A puppy that is too hot or too cold
will not eat.  There is a method (and video on Youtube) on a way to feed
puppies using a make-up sponge. I think this is the safest and most natural
way to feed very young puppies because it encourages suckling (which is
important for more than feeding) and prevents aspiration.    Here is the
link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuowS5_nges

Puppies fail to thrive for three reasons:  low blood sugar, too cool, and
poor hydration.   We put a finger tip of honey on the puppies gums twice a
day.  We also give a fingertip of plain yoghurt twice a day (with live
acidophilus).    Be sure to weigh the puppies at the same time each day
prior to feeding.  Everyone should gain weight steadily; if one does not,
then something is wrong.

Sandi Wittenberg

Red Bay Bassets