[Dailydrool] Goopy Eyes

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 15:01:03 PDT 2014

While we have never had the dreaded glaucoma at our house, we have had our
fair share of eye issues. Bismark ATB had iriditis and would get corneal
ulcers all the time. They are really wicked and nothing to mess with. If
they get bad enough they have to be surgically stitched up. His never got
that bad, but we had to wake up every two hours to put a series of drops in
his eyes. Elwood ATB had dry eye and we had to treat that for many years
and he was fine. Bubbles ATB was prone to conjunctivits.

Beauford and Bugsey are prone to allergy eye and Beauford scratched his eye
once when they were particularily itchy.

The treatment for all of these conditions is different. They all cause a
red, goopy eye although the red is different and the goop is different.
Unless it is something that particular dog gets all the time and I have
been told how to treat it (like the allergy eyes) I would be heading to the
vet. I don't like to guess when it comes to loss of vision or as much pain
as a corneal ulcer.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey (I can't scratch my eye as easily, my
grandmothers took off my dewclaws when I was very tiny) and Browyn the
Fairy Princess.