[Dailydrool] Daphney

dfrancoisj at comcast.net dfrancoisj at comcast.net
Thu Aug 28 18:02:44 PDT 2014

Boy, I am learning all about basset hound health!  First Daphney was diagnosed with Cushings and she adjusted well to the meds and it didn't seem to slow her down much.  About 8 weeks ago she was diagnosed with Diabetes and adjusted to the two times daily insulin.  Next came total blindness, which I think had been slowly developing over time because she took it without a single struggle.  She even can sense when she is coming close to something and slows down so she only nudges with her nose.  She continues to be a total love bug, snuggles and enjoys her terrier friends (one who makes sure her face and ears are clean at all times!)  During her sugar check up this week the vet discovered elevated pressure in her one eye and started her on drops for glaucoma.  Poor thing!  She was a rescue so we believe she is about 12 years old.  I hope the glaucoma can stay in check as I would hate to put her through eye removal surgery.  Just wondering, does anyone know why bassets are prone to so many illnesses?  It's not fair!