[Dailydrool] Gumbo's tests

Sabrina brii at sprynet.com
Wed Dec 3 20:01:16 PST 2014

Dale asked about the tests to become a BARK dog. Gumbo had to pass
the CGC to qualify for the BARK evaluation. The BARK evaluation
included everything on the CGC and also a few more tests. While the
person in charge spoke to the group (10 dogs/handlers), evaluators
were looking to see that all the dogs settled down within a few
minutes. Another test was having four people closely surround (swarm)
Gumbo; we were told that kids do this all the time. For another test,
we all sat on opposing park benches. An adult and two rowdy 8 year
old boys ran, skipped, jumped between us making as much noise as they
could; the dogs had to remain calm. Another test was a man with a
metal bucket who approached each dog and made a loud clanging noise;
the dogs had to remain calm. We had to walk with our dog on a loose
leash, an informal heel. During the time we were there (in a park),
three evaluators watched us all to see how we interacted with our dogs.

Gumbo is afraid of some dogs. I walked around when I could and always
positioned him as far as possible from the scary Newfoundland and the
Bernese Mountain Dog. They both flunked. The Bernese Mountain Dog
actually pulled the evaluator out of the chair and tipped the chair
over when she was supposed to be waiting quietly for her owner; I
guess Gumbo knew she wasn't safe. After we passed the evaluation, we
had to visit one of a number of public libraries three times for
reading with dogs session; that was probation. It was difficult for
Gumbo because some of the other dogs scared him. I learned to
position him on his blanket facing the wall, making it easier for him
to ignore the other dogs. We're glad to be going to a school, where
he'll be the only dog.

Sabrina, Gumbo the BARK dog, and Ellie